Sustainable Development Goals Publishers Compact
The Sustainable Development Goals act as a blueprint for a sustainable and better future for all. They address various global challenges such as poverty, hunger, gender quality, sustainable infrastructure and others. As publishers, we ensure to align our practices with the United Nations’ drive to promote business practices that build on sustainability. In tandem with this venture, we are also signatories of the UN Publishers Compact which represents a commitment towards working for a better future in the publishing industry.
The compact works towards inspiring publishers to inspire publishers to subscribe to a set of values by taking action in the pursuit of realising these sustainable development goals during the course of the decade of action (2020-2030). In the last quarter of 2020, players in the publishing industry were invited to pledge their commitment to the future by signing the publisher’s compact. It features 10 action points that publishers, publishing associations and others can commit to undertaking for the success of the Sustainable Development Goals by 2030. (un.org, 2020)
Signatories to the SDG Publishers Compact commit to:
- Committing to the SDGs: Stating sustainability policies and targets on our website, including adherence to this Compact; incorporating SDGs and their targets as appropriate.
- Actively promoting and acquiring content that advocates for themes represented by the SDGs, such as equality, sustainability, justice and safeguarding and strengthening the environment.
- Annually reporting on progress towards achieving SDGs, sharing data and contribute to benchmarking activities, helping to share best practices and identify gaps that still need to be addressed.
- Nominating a person who will promote SDG progress, acting as a point of contact and coordinating the SDG themes throughout the organization.
- Raising awareness and promoting the SDGs among staff to increase awareness of SDG-related policies and goals and encouraging projects that will help achieve the SDGs by 2030.
- Raising awareness and promoting the SDGs among suppliers, to advocate for SDGs and to collaborate on areas that need innovative actions and solutions.
- Becoming an advocate to customers and stakeholders by promoting and actively communicating about the SDG agenda through marketing, websites, promotions and projects.
- Collaborating across cities, countries, and continents with other signatories and organizations to develop, localize and scale projects that will advance progress on the SDGs individually or through their Publishing Association.
- Dedicating budget and other resources towards accelerating progress for SDG-dedicated projects and promoting SDG principles.
- Taking action on at least one SDG goal, either as an individual publisher or through your national publishing association and sharing progress annually.(SDG Publishers Compact, 2020)
All signatories aspire to develop practices that are sustainable and to also act as champions of the SDGs in publishing books and journals that inform, develop and inspire action in the same direction.